Visit of Porvoo. Founded in year 1346 by the Swedish, the fishermen village of Porvoo has occupied an important place in Finland History. It was host of the Finnish Lutheran church and, after the Russian occupation of Finland, Porvoo signed the new constitution in 1809. It became a Great Duchy with a high degree of autonomy. The colourful red wood small houses next to the river and the quiet atmosphere make this village into a place of great interest and beauty.